There’s more to zero drop than meets the eye. New Balance will be releasing more information about the Minimus Zero collection at the Summer Outdoor Retailer show this week. Here’s a sneak peek at what you need to know.
- New Balance Minimus Zero will arrive in running stores across the country in March 2012. This includes new road, trail, and wellness shoes.
- For New Balance, minimal means supporting different runners with different interest and situations.
- Minimus Zero is more than zero drop – 0mm heel-to-toe drop, lower stack height, and lightweight shoes (6.4 oz for Zero Road and 4.4 oz for Zero Trail).
- The Minimus collection is evolving. Lessons learned from the initial Minimus product applied to the Minimus Zero collection.
- Minimus Zero is not the end game and is evolving. More innovative ideas will be incorporated into the collection between now and 2013.
- Be prepared to prevent injury. Transition with now the current Minimus collection as the new shoes are going to make you work for it – more ground feel, more independent foot movement, less weight.
- Be prepared again. We cannot stress enough that minimal shoes have reduced cushioning and rubber.
- Start transitioning and learn good running form. These shoes require an adjustment period.
- Minimus is spreading across New Balance. More neutral platforms and 8mm drop in all shoes are planned.
- Minimus is beyond just running shoes. Remember the Minimus Life and Minimus Trainer?
To read more about the Minimus Zero collection, see the blog post by Katherine Petrecca , New Balance SBU Manager for Performance Running and Outdoor at: